Current to: June 1, 2012
In this Online Privacy Statement, "CIBC", "we", "us"and "our" means CIBC and its wholly owned subsidiaries and "you" and "your" means the user of, or visitor to a CIBC website, domain, advertisement or communication.
Collection of Personal Information
We may collect personal information in the following ways:
- Information you provide through CIBC Online Banking (e.g. in an online application), for a CIBC product (e.g. name, email address etc.) and information such as user IDs, passwords or service preferences (e.g. language). If you communicate with us online or by email or text message, we may collect information contained in that communication, such as your email address or mobile phone number
- Transactional information about your use of CIBC online products and services
- Information that your browser sends to us, such as your IP address (a number required for using the Internet that is automatically assigned to your computer or device and from which the general geographic location of the computer or device can be derived), type of web browser (e.g. Explorer, Chrome, Safari or Firefox) and the referring website address
- Web technologies (e.g. cookies) are used to collect information about how people use our website, to enhance security and your user experience, to determine response to emails, or to save personal information that you have inputted into online tools and calculators (see Web technologies for more details)
How We Use Your Personal Information
- Provide you with our online products, services and support
- Monitor online activity to protect you and your personal information
- Enhance online security including preventing and detecting security threats, fraud and other illegal activities
- Communicate with you, including providing alerts that you have requested
- Evaluate the effectiveness of our websites, communications, marketing, and online offers and promotions
How We Safeguard Your Personal Information
Protecting the security of your personal information and the financial transactions you conduct online is of utmost importance. We use multiple layers of protection when you access any of our online products or services, such as CIBC Online Banking, including:
- Web browser encryption - All browsers supported by CIBC online services offer 128-bit encryption. This provides a high level of protection for transmitting confidential data over the Internet
- Firewalls - We have secure firewalls designed to prevent unauthorized access to our systems
- Monitoring - We monitor activity on CIBC online services to enhance security and to protect your personal information
Third Party Websites or Links
CIBC may from time to time offer mobile applications or services that use location information. If you choose to use such applications or services, CIBC may, if your location-aware device settings allow us, collect information about your location (for example, GPS signals or information that can be used to approximate a location) to provide you with services you request.
Changes to Our Online Privacy Statement
CIBC may, from time to time, update this Online Privacy Statement in order to reflect changes in our online information practices. If we make any changes, we will post the revised statement on www.cibc.com with an updated current date. We encourage you to periodically check our Online Privacy Statement to ensure that you are aware of the most recent version.